Monday, August 11, 2014

CARDBOARD SHELVES USING PACKAGING BOXES

Hello Friends am very happy and excited about today's post. For a long time I was thinking that it would be nice if i had some big shelves which can accommodate all my craft items. Since I am here in US for a temporary stay I don't want to invest much on furniture as it would be difficult to dispose them if we are moving. So I made  small racks using old cardboard boxes. But it was very small that all the supplies couldn't fit inside. Hence I wanted to make a sturdy and big shelves . When I googled I saw this video on making cardboard shelves. Decided to give it a try and . I fixed that the total cost of the supplies shouldn't go beyond $10. I  bought some packaging boxes from home depot and with the help of my father made these shelves.


I was extremely happy with the end result and made another shelf of the same size.


I wanted the design to be such that it should make space for  
Showcasing my creations
sewing machine
dumbbells
craft supplies
paper rolls
pen stand
brush stand

MEASUREMENTS:

I bought 4 heavy duty medium size cardboard boxes from home depot. I modified the measurements and procedure of the video to suit my needs.
total height of the box = 35"
Total width of the box  = 34"
The most heavy item cardboard shelf cannot withstand is the sewing machine. So I decided to keep it on the floor. The height of the sewing machine is 13.5" so kept the last shelf at this height.


The other two shelves are kept at the equal height of 7". The first shelf I reserved for displaying my craft works. The last row is the floor which consists of heavy items. To prevent the shelves from bending due to weight I made dividers by sticking many cardboard pieces together.


On the side of the shelf I made loops using washi tape for inserting the paper rolls. I cut a cereal box and pasted it on the shelf for storing paper notes or tissues.



The showcase of my crafts



Thus a compact and neat shelf is made for less than $10.


After finishing up with the shelf I found a lot of my handmade cards still lying on the floor. So made a wall art by sticking all the cards on the wall. Thus everything fell into its place and my craft studio looked tidier too. Click here for the tutorial on making these shelves.



8 comments:

  1. Beautifully done craft organizer Ramya that too in less than $10 its Amazing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative and great idea to make the shelves, They look great and organized!
    Thanks for joining the TTCRD challenges.
    Hugs,Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a super cool idea hun fantastic love it and thanks for linking up at All Crafts hugs Judith DT x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - thanks for joining us this time at 4 krafty girlz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks For Sharing Cardboard box Info... if you need cardboard boxes for moving house or storage for your office, Nelson Packaging have boxes and cartons of all shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well written articles like yours renews my faith in today's writers. You've written information I can finally agree on and use. Thank you for sharing. Custom Packaging Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing style is nice. I really impress from your content. Keep writing such kind of content. Gable Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete